Winchester and Frederick County, at the top of the Shenandoah Valley and Virginia, was once Shawnee Indian camping grounds to which Pennsylvania Quakers came to settle in 1732. The town was named Frederick Town after Frederick, father of George III of England. In 1752 the name was changed to Winchester in honor of the ancient English capital.
In Winchester and Frederick County, the visitor will see many relics of the area’s history: the tomb of Lord Fairfax in the yard of Christ Episcopal Church; the home and grave of General Daniel Morgan, hero of the Revolutionary War; George Washington’s headquarters; the headquarters of Stonewall Jackson; the headquarters of the Union General Philip Sheridan; the Hollingsworth house, Abram’s Delight, built in 1754 and now completely furnished with relics of the 18th century; the National Cemetery and the Confederate Cemetery with thousands of heros graves; the ruins of an old church used as barracks during the Revolutionary War; the Hopewell Meeting House, established in 1734; Belle Grove Plantation, 1794; and many others.
Winchester has long been known as the “Apple Capital” surrounded as it is by vast orchards and constituting one of the largest apple export markets of the nation and the largest producing area in Virginia. Each spring Winchester plays host for four days to over 250,000 visitors who converge upon the town to witness the famous Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival, usually held the first few days in May. Winchester also hosts the world’s largest Fireman’s parade the Friday before the main event.
Museum of the Shenandoah Valley
1840 Courthouse, Civil War Museum